Skip to main content


Brexit hero image

Information about the impact of the EU referendum (Brexit) at UAL

If you are EU, EEA or Swiss citizens you will need to  apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. Settled status gives you the right to live and work in the UK and give you access to public services, including medical care under the National Health Service (NHS).

If you have a registration certificate/registration card or a permanent residence certificate/permanent residence card, they will only be valid only until 30 June 2021.

This is because, you obtained them when the UK was part of the European Union and they were granted under the European Law. Under the domestic UK immigration law if you want to continue living and work in the UK you must apply to EU Settlement Scheme or switch into a visa category that allow you to stay in the UK.

The deadline to apply for settled status is 30 June 2021. Please see further guidance provided by the UK government.

UAL has nearly 3 times the UK average of EU students and nearly 16% of our staff come from the EU. We value the diversity of our students and staff and we are committed to ensuring an inclusive and supportive environment for all who study and work with us. We also value our place in the European cultural environment and believe that knowledge, collaboration and scholarship are borderless.

On 1 January 2021 the relationship between the UK and the European Union changed, with the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union.

Read UAL's response to the completion of the process of the UK leaving the European Union.

More information

Related links

EU students and their work