Skip to main content

Tell Someone

There is no place for racism, bullying, harassment, or sexual violence at UAL. Use our Tell Someone form to report incidents and access support.

We take all reports of racism, bullying, harassment and sexual violence seriously to promote a safe and inclusive environment. If you see or experience it, report it through the Tell Someone form. You can make an anonymous report.

We’ll let you know about the support available, discuss formal and informal ways of resolving an issue, and signpost you to further information. We will listen to you and be guided by you in terms of the next steps.

Further guidance

Jump to:

What is 'Tell Someone'?

‘Tell Someone’ offers a point of contact for students to report incidents and access support in relation to racism, bullying, harassment or sexual violence.

When you contact us through Tell Someone you are not committing to any specific course of action. The email address is monitored by a small group of staff who have been trained in responding to and supporting students who have experienced racism, bullying, harassment or sexual violence.

If you select ‘speak to a member of staff’ one of the people listed below will get in touch to discuss next steps:

  • Head of Counselling and Student Health
  • Head of Student Advice and Safeguarding Support
  • Associate Director: Progression and Further Education

The information you provide is treated as confidential and will not be shared without your agreement.

What happens if I select 'speak to a member of staff'?

One of the staff members listed above will get in touch with you to set up a meeting or talk on the phone. They will listen to your concerns, help you to get support and discuss ways to resolve the issue. They will provide you with information about the University’s complaints procedure and formal routes for resolving concerns.

They can also help to resolve the concern informally - for example, by putting you in touch with someone at your College to help to resolve the issue, such as a Dean, Programme Director or Course Leader – or explore the option of mediation. We will not do this without consulting you first – please see ‘confidentiality’ for more info.

They won’t make judgements about whether an incident constitutes misconduct. If you would like to make a formal complaint you can access support from the Students’ Union Advice Service.

If you are reporting an incident of sexual violence the Head of Counselling and Student Health will get in touch with you directly. You can meet with her or a member of her team to talk about what has happened, the support available and possible next steps.

What happens if I report anonymously?

You may prefer to raise a concern anonymously. If you report anonymously, we can’t commit to taking any formal action. However, we can use the information to see if there have been similar complaints, a pattern of behaviour or trends which we should investigate. We encourage you to access support and advice even if you choose to report anonymously.

What other support is available?

UAL Counselling Service

The Counselling Service offers free, confidential one-to-one counselling for students. Our trained counsellors and mental health advisers are here to listen and help you to get support arranging adjustments, applying for extenuating circumstances and more.

Contact UAL Counselling Service

Students’ Union Advice Service

The Students’ Union Advice Service offers independent, confidential advice on issues including bullying, harassment and sexual violence. Advisers can help you to resolve concerns through formal complaints routes or through informal means, accompany you to meetings and explain how university procedures work.

Contact SU Advice Service

What is Prevent?

UAL is committed to ensuring it remains a safe, nurturing and inclusive environment for learning, teaching and research. Under the Counter-Terrorism and Security Act 2015, UAL has a legal ‘Prevent’ duty to seek to prevent anyone from being drawn into violent extremism or terrorism. Visit to read our Prevent policy and find out more.

If you’re concerned someone is expressing views discriminatory against particular groups of people, is excluding others from activities or threatening others with violence, please contact

How do I make a formal complaint?

If the complaint relates to a member of staff you can submit a complaint via the Student Complaints Procedure.

If the complaint relates to a student, you can contact your Dean, in line with the Student Disciplinary Code.

We encourage students to contact the Students Union Advice Service for support with making a complaint.

Please note: If you have experienced sexual violence you can contact the Dean of Students or Head of Counselling and Student Health directly, or through this form, to discuss how university investigation procedures work.


The information you give us will be stored in a secure, password protected folder. The information is treated with strict confidentiality. We will ask for your consent before sharing any details with other teams or staff members. No further action will be taken and your identity will not be shared further without your consent unless there are legal reasons that require us to do so. This might be, for example, where your information is about a child or vulnerable adult who is at risk, or if you have indicated that you are in immediate danger. If this is the case, we may have to tell the police or the University and will always give a full and frank explanation for why this is necessary before doing so.

The questions we are asking will help us identify if there are any patterns of inappropriate behaviour occurring at the University. If you request to speak to a member of staff, the information you provide will help us identify the most suitable person and will provide them with useful background information to the concern or incident you are reporting.

The responses submitted will also be used anonymously for reporting purposes to help the University to identify patterns and trends in the incidents reported in order to improve the way we respond to these. No names or other identifying information will be included in the data that we collect for these reporting purposes.

Other ways to get in touch

If you have any further questions, please email or phone 020 7514 6251.